A relaxing afternoon tea baby shower in honor of my mum to be Lisa. Including cake pops from Cake Pop Princess, handmade vanilla sponge cake with buttercream topping and mini fabric cake topper bunting.
- 250g pack unsalted butter, softened, and extra for greasing
- 250g golden caster sugar
- Vanilla seeds scraped from 1 vanilla pod or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs, cracked into a jug
- 85g plain flour
- 100g full-fat Greek yogurt
- 250g self-raising flour
- 3 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
Pre-heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3
- Grease a round, deep 20cm tin, then line the base and sides with non-stick baking paper.
- Beat the butter, sugar, vanilla and ¼ tsp salt together until pale and fluffy, then pour in the eggs, one at a time, ensuring mixture is thoroughly.
- Add 1 tbsp of the plain flour if the mix starts to look slimy rather than fluffy.
- Beat in the yogurt.
- Mix the flours; then, using a large metal spoon, fold them into the batter, followed by the milk.
- Spoon the mix into the tin and bake for 1 hr 20 mins or until well risen and golden. to check the cake is ready, insert the knife into the middle should come out clean.
- 300g icing sugar, sifted
- 300g unsalted butter - softened
Beat the icing sugar and butter together, with your chosen flavouring and colouring if using, until smooth. Use a palette knife to smooth over cake.