Inspired by Kirsten Hoddle my Nana, baked by me
These biscuits are traditionally baked in Denmark for Christmas, however with a similar taste and texture to shortbread these biscuits are the perfect accompaniment to a cup of tea or coffee all year round.
What you will need
- 400g softened butter
- 130g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 450g flour
- 1/2 baking powder
- 1/2 bicarbonate of soda
- 100g ground almonds
- Baking paper
- Star nozzle and piping bag or cookie press
Pre-heat the oven to 180C / Gas mark 4
To make the biscuits
- In a large bowl beat together the butter and sugar, until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg, and then once combined add the vanilla extract.
- Sift the flour, baking power, bicarbonate of soda and ground almonds into the wet mixture, to form a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and lightly knead until the dough is smooth and no longer sticky.
- Using a star piping nozzle and piping bag or cookie press, form 5cm diameter rings onto baking paper sheets.
- Bake biscuits on the middle shelf for 10 minutes, until golden brown, and allow to cool on a wire rack before serving.